Why register as an Engineering Technician?
Engineering Technicians play a crucial role in a range of jobs across every branch of the fire engineering profession. The letters ‘EngTech’ mark you out as a skilled professional engineer. Customers – and the public more widely – are likely to have a higher level of confidence in you. The EngTech award clearly demonstrates that the holder has experience, drive and commitment and is a competent, registered professional.
'EngTechNow' is a campaign currently highlighting the benefits of EngTech registration. Take a look at these resources which highlight the value of EngTech registration to engineering technicians and employers.
Lynsey Seal BEng (Hons) AMIMechE CEng MIFireE is currently a Senior Fire Engineer and Head of London Fire Brigade’s Fire Engineering Group and has the following to say about the importance of the IFE’s EngTech Engineering Council registration process:
"Some of our officers do not hold formal qualifications so our new training programme accompanied by the opportunity to apply to the IFE / Engineering Council is seen as having real value for these individuals, providing them with the opportunity and motivation to consider going on to further individual development. It also provides them with the professional credibility needed to undertake their roles."
Engineering Technicians also benefit from:
- professional recognition in the global fire sector
- enhanced career prospects
- access to special interest groups, CPD tracking and current vacancies
- IFE journal, newsletters and online access to archived publications
- local and international CPD events
- IFE Level 3 Diploma (formerly IFE Graduate exam) or IFE Level 4 Certificate (formerly IFE Member exam)
- EdExcel / SFJ / Industry Awards QCF Level 4 Diploma in Fire Safety (Inspectors)
- FSEB Station Officer Exams (pass in all 4 written papers)
- CFPA Europe Advanced Diploma in Fire Prevention awarded prior to Feb-2016
- HNC, HND, Foundation Degree or equivalent in Fire Safety Engineering / Fire Safety Studies or Fire Engineering
- SFJA Level 5 Certificate in Fire Investigation (GATR)
If you do not have a qualification listed above, please email email@example.com for advice.
- Two years (indicative) experience
- Two referees, both suitably qualified senior individuals with knowledge of your professional involvement in fire engineering.
- Fully completed EngTech application form including details of IPD objectives A to E. EngTech Application Guidance
If you would like further advice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you live outside the UK, please contact your local branch about your application. If a local branch is not available, or you live in the UK, please apply using the Engineering Technician Application Form enclosing validated certificates and your application fee
If your application is successful, annual subscriptions are payable. Payment can be made by direct debit , credit/debit card, sterling cheque or bank draft. All other ways to pay are listed here. Please read the following documents before making your application:
CPD Guidance for IFE Registrants
Code of Conduct for IFE Registrants
Guidance on the use of post nominals
EngC guidance Statement of Ethical Principles
EngC guidance on Sustainability
EngC guidance on Risk
EngC guidance on Whistleblowing
EngC guidance on Security