Members of the IFE benefit from:
- professional recognition in the global fire sector through the use, after your name, of the post nominal MIFireE
- access to MY IFE, including special interest groups, CPD tracking and current vacancies;
- International Fire Professional, posted to you and online access to current and archived publications;
- regular e-newsletters;
- discounts for the IFE Online Shop and events;
- the possibility of involvement in IFE branches, working groups and committees.
How to apply
If you live outside the UK, please contact your local branch about your application. If a local branch is not available, or you live in the UK, please apply using the Member Application Form and send copies of your certificates. Please keep submissions to a minimum number of pages and send in only relevant information. Remember do not bind your submissions and keep your IPD report to a maximum of 10 single sides including any supporting information. Detailed guidance is available on the link below.
You can send your completed application to email@example.com or by post to the address at the bottom of this page. Please refer to the application checklist table below to ensure that you have all parts of your application before submission.
Payment and subscriptions
There is no application fee. If your application is successful, an annual subscription is payable. Payment can be made by direct debit, credit/debit card, sterling cheque or bankers draft. All other ways to pay are listed here. Please read the IFE Rules of Membership before completing your application. If successful, you must adhere to the IFE Code of Conduct and you are advised to maintain your Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- One of the following:
- Degree in a fire-related subject
- IFE Level 4 Certificate
(formerly Member exams)
- A Recognised Educational Programme (Member)
If you do not have a qualification listed above, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
- Applicants must have the support of two current IFE Associate, Member or Fellow members (AIFireE, MIFireE or FIFireE). Applicants are required to submit two Referee Statements with their application.
- At least 2 years of sufficient and relevant Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Applicants are required to submit a CPD Log with their application.
- Applicants must submit a professional review report showing how they have met the IPD Requirements for Member Membership. For details of the IPD Objectives and guidance on writing the report please visit
IPD Report Guidance. Please note that for applications submitted from 4 March 2017 onwards, professional review reports should follow the revised IPD Report Guidance version 2
- Indicative length of experience required: 5 years
Please note: Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer registration through the IFE automatically confers Member (MIFireE) membership.